I was looking for a plugin that was able to deliver a "index" page for various articles in a category. As these articles exist on a custom post type already 80% of the responsive grid plugins disqualified. The other 20% had been disqualified as they were either too expensive, unable to exclude posts or unable to give a custom sort order. This is why I luckily ended up with the Responsive Grid Gallery with Custom Links. I had to go for the PRO version after intensively testing the free one, as I needed more than 3 columns. But it was worth any cent! Beyond that the PRO comes with a lot more adjustment options that are really beneficial like multiple caption options and categories.
And I got an awesome support! With a response just in a few hours!