Add a Table of Contents block to your posts and pages. The TOC is a nested list of links to all heading found in the post or page. To use it, simply add a block and search for « SimpleTOC » or just « TOC ».
The maximum depth of the toc can be configured in in the blocks’ sidebar among many other options. There can hide the headline « Table of Contents » and add your own by using a normal heading block.
SimpleTOC is open-source and developed on GitHub Pages. If you find a bug or have an idea for a feature please feel free to contribute and create a pull request.
- Zero configuration: Add the SimpleTOC block to your post and that’s it.
- Minimal and valid HTML output.
- Designed for Gutenberg.
- Style SimpleTOC with Gutenberg’s native group styling options.
- Inherits the style of your theme.
- Translated in multiple languages. Including German, Chinese (Taiwan), Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, French, Spanish and Latvia.
- Add background and text color with Gutenberg groups.
- Native block support for wide and full width.
- Control the maximum depth of the headings.
- Choose between an ordered and unordered HTML list.
- Toggle list indent.
- Disable the h2 heading of the TOC block and add your own.
- GeneratePress and Rank Math support.
- Works with popular AMP plugins.
Many thanks to Tom J Nowell and and Sally CJ who both helped me a lot with my questions over at wordpress.stackexchange.com
Thanks to Quintus Valerius Soranus for inventing the Table of Contents around 100 BC.
Cette extension fournit 1 bloc.
- SimpleTOC Adds a Table of Contents.
SimpleTOC can be found and installed via the Plugin menu within WordPress administration (Plugins -> Add New). Alternatively, it can be downloaded from WordPress.org and installed manually…
In Gutenberg, add a block and search for « SimpleTOC » or just « TOC ». Please save your content before you use the block.
How do I change the TOC heading ‘Table of contents’ to some other words?
Hide the headline in the sidebar options of SimpleTOC and add your own heading.
How do I add SimpleTOC to all articles automatically?
I don’t see an easy solution at the moment. SimpleTOC is only a block that can be placed in your post. If there would be a plugin that adds blocks to every post then this would be the solution. I think this should be another separate plug-in to keep the code of SimpleTOC clean and … well, simple. Maybe someone knows of a plug-in that adds blocks automatically to all posts with some parameters and settings? What about site editing in WordPress? I think the core team is working on something like that. I will keep this post open. If I have gained more knowledge how to solve this I will add this feature.
How do I add a background color to SimpleTOC using Gutenberg groups?
Select the block and select « group » in the context menu. Apply « background color », « link color » and « text color » to this group. SimpleTOC will inherit these styles. You would like to use this styled SimpleTOC group next time you write a post? Convert it to a reusable block.
How do I add smooth scrolling?
You can optionally add the css class « smooth-scroll » to each link the TOC. Then you can install plugin that uses these classes.
How do I hide a single heading?
If you really want to hide a single heading from the table of contents then add the CSS class « simpletoc-hidden » to a heading block. But first of all, think about the reason you want to hide a specific heading. Maybe you want to remove all headins of a specific depth level. Then there is an option for that in the blocks options in Gutenberg. If you think this heading should not be part of the toc maybe it is not needed in the post itself?
Contributeurs & développeurs
« SimpleTOC – Table of Contents Block » est un logiciel libre. Les personnes suivantes ont contribué à cette extension.Contributeurs
“SimpleTOC – Table of Contents Block” a été traduit dans 13 locales. Remerciez l’équipe de traduction pour ses contributions.
Le développement vous intéresse ?
- Feature: Change the TOC headline in the block options. Thank you Philipp Stracker!
- Warning: Some features have been moved to « Advances Features » at the bottom of the settings.
- Feature: Toggle the automatic refresh of the TOC block in Gutenberg.
- Housekeeping: Updated documentation and dependencies.
- Feature: SimpleTOC updates itself after the post is saved.
- Feature: Support for custom Anchor IDs in headings. Thank you Matthias Altmann!
- Works with WordPress 6.0
- Support for paginated posts.
- Feature: Add the CSS class « simpletoc-hidden » to the heading block to remove it from the Table of Contents.
- Added Brazilian Portuguese translations to the translations. Thanks Ralden Souza!